Thursday, April 23, 2009

Welcome to my crazy little corner of the interwebs.

Well, okay then. Maybe it took me until after a sweep of ye olde Habs to get this blog started, but regardless, here I am. Three things in this intro blog post, and then we'll launch right into the real stuff.

1) Where did I come from, or: Sarah is a very sponge-y newbie

I think I may have picked the best season to get into hockey, EVER. Yep, before this season, my knowledge/attention to hockey was limited to a few things:
  • My dad's played since before I was born, and is a crazy Bruins fan
  • I met Sergei Samsonov, once
  • LB (Lyndon Byers) lives around the corner from me
  • I went to Boston University (surrounded by college hockey, all the time)
However, last summer, my roommate and I went to Montreal, tooled around the Bell Centre a bit, and she decided to become a Habs fan. Competitive as I am, of course I latched on to my dad's love of the Bruins, and along with getting a job where I sit at a computer a day, I began absorbing hockey knowledge as fast as possible. And then the Bruins started rocking face. A+, self.

2) But why hockey polygamy?

The Bruins HAD to be my favorite team because of family and hometown loyalties (and really, they're not hard to love.) But when I started trying to learn as much about the NHL as I could, the Capitals and the Blackhawks seriously caught and HELD my attention. Most of that is due to the ridiculously wonderful PR people they have, and the hilarious videos they've got on their nhl.tv sites.

The Caps are the in-conference team that I feel guilty loving upon; the Blackhawks are my long-distance favesies. It's a good time.

3) What you can expect to find on this site:

College hockey ramblings, especially of the current-and-former BU players variety. Bruins game ponderings. Blackhawks and Capitals game ponderings, when I can get those games. In the future, Avalanche game reactions, when I move to Colorado. Lots of videos and media from around the NHL. Musings on the social-media aspect of NHL Hockey. Tweetup information. This blog won't be anything particularly unique, but I'm hoping to offer a somewhat new perspective from a woman who's involved in the media's point of view.

Stay tuned for more!

1 comment: